RECIPE SOURCE: Homestyle Stir-fry
Craving for some asian take-outs? Try this delicious and very easy to prepare meal. Don't forget the rice!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 350 g (12 oz) boned rib eye steak, thinly sliced
- 2 t soy sauce
- 2 t dry sherry
- 1 t chopped fresh ginger
- 1 t sesame oil
- oil for cooking
- 1/4 t ground white pepper
- 2 t finely chopped dried mandarin or tangerine zest, plus extra to garnish
- 2 t soy sauce, extra
- 1 1/2 t caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 1/2 t cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 T beef stock
- Place the meat in a bowl. Mix the soy sauce, sherry, ginger and sesame oil together, add to the meat and toss well. Leave to marinate for 15 min.
- Heat the wok until very hot, add 1 T oil and swirl it around to coat the side. Add the beef and stir- fry over high heat for 2 min, or until meat is browned on all sides.
- Add pepper, dried mandarin or tangerine zest, extra soy sauce and sugar. Stir- fry briefly.
- Dissolve the cornflour in a little stock and then add the remaining stock. Pour the whole lot into the wok. Stir until the sauce boils and thickens. Serve immediately garnished with extra zest.
the more expensive, tender cuts of beef such as rib eye or rump are best for stir-frying. However, a cheaper cut such as round or blade can be used, but should be tenderised in a marinade after it has been thinly sliced.
Dissolve 1/2 t baking soda in 2 T warm water. Place beef in a dish, pour over soda mixture and knead it through meat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hrs. Bring to room tempearture, then continue with recipe.